Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Miss NY Triple Crown Competition: Miss Kings County 2013

. . . as the saying goes "third times a charm"



Greetings NY! It's been a few weeks since I was crowned Miss Kings County and I am so excited for the opportunity to head back to Miss NY State.  I have been involved in the Miss America Organization for the last three years I cannot even begin to express how this organization has changed the course of my life.  I began competing back in 2010 when I entered the Miss Brooklyn competition.  I had not a clue what I was getting into, but after having such a fun first experience in the system, I was bit by the bug!  In 2011 I threw my hat in the race again and this time walked away as Miss Brooklyn 2011, competing that June at Miss NY State.  After an amazing journey, terrific friends and what was hands down the best year of my life, I decided to compete at the State Triple Crown last year and again had the opportunity to compete for Miss NY, this time as Miss Verrazano 2012.

I will be honest when this year began I thought about taking the year off from competing. I recently began a new job, shifting my focus to finding my way in the "real world," (clearly I was not thinking straight). All of those thoughts quickly changed when I went to Vegas with some of my Miss NY sisters to cheer on our very own Miss NY, Mallory Hagan at Miss America.  Seeing everything live and witnessing Mallory crowned our Miss America was an experience I will NEVER forget! The entire week just solidified my love for this organization and I knew that not competing was not an option. 

The Triple Crown competition took place on Saturday March 30th at the Manhattan Movement and Arts Center.  For those who are not familiar with the Miss America Organization and how a competition works here is a quick crash course :)  . . . The Miss America Organization is the leading scholarship organization for young women in the world, providing over $45 million in scholarships for women to further their education.  The day of the Triple Crown competition I took part in a private 10 minute interview with a panel of judges (who were awesome), followed by a rehearsal for the onstage portion of competition.  The onstage portion of competition includes an onstage question, the lifestyle and fitness competition, a talent portion and an evening wear competition.  When all is said and done three young ladies walk away with titles (which they choose based on their residency), a scholarship and the chance to compete for Miss NY State this July!  I went into this competition with an open mind and trusted that what ever was meant to happen would happen.  I have never felt more relaxed and at ease competing then I did this time around.  Lesson . . . being calm works for me! Happy to say I walked away as the swimsuit preliminary winner and overall interview winner.  I'm pretty sure I was more excited to win interview over anything else that occurred that day (the utter look of shock on my face said it all, haha).  That accomplishment was unexpected in every sense of the word and I am beyond thankful that it happened!

When people ask me what my favorite part about competing is the answer is easy, one . . . I get to perform my talent (I'm a dancer, so being able to be onstage brings me joy), two . . . I am given a unique voice in my community, along with the opportunity to support a cause near to my heart and three . . . the fact that I get to meet so many amazing young women! I find it funny sometimes when people have these preconceived notions that girls who compete are all out to get one another, when that is probably the furthest thing from the truth.  In these last few years I can't even begin to count the amount of friends I have made because of this organization.  The young women are amongst the most dedicated, intelligent, compassionate, spunky and down to earth people you will ever meet! There is such a sense of support and comradery within the system that makes us our own little unique family that I am proud to be a part of.  Huge congrats to my Miss NY sister and Wagner Dance Team girl Jamie Lynn Macchia the new Miss Greater NY and my Miss NY sister Nina Davuluri, Miss Syracuse!


Thank you to my friends and family for their endless support, encouragement and love.  We did it!

Let the adventure begin! 
Until next time . . .
~Christina




No comments:

Post a Comment